Master Gardener, Steve Turlo, presented information on Integrated Pest Management On June 22, 2013 from 1 – 3 pm at the Newton T. Bass Apple Valley Branch Library located at 14901 Dale Evans Parkway, Apple Valley, CA 92307.
Introduction to Integrated Pest Management
His presentation was centered on introducing UC Integrated Pest Management (UC IPM) web site http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/GENERAL/links.html. The major points on Integrated Pest Management that he introduced were:
1. Use of pesticides should be limited to a last resort strategy.
2. Preventive measures that keep pests from getting out of control include:
- A. Soil Preparation
- B. Water Management
- C. Good Housekeeping
- D. Mechanical Removal
- E. Sun Shade Management
- F. Biological Management, and
- G. Cultural Management.
Notes on the Month of June
June is a good time to plant pumpkins from seed.
We just had summer solstice. Gardeners should be aware of day length.
Adelanto Gardening and Food Preparation Class
- Location: Adelanto Senior Center
- Time: 3rd Saturday of the month, 9:30 am
Class on Cooking and Food Preservation
- Location: 777 E. Realto, San Bernardino
- Time: 3rd Thursday of the month, 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm