I got some of my best plants at the UC Riverside Botanic Garden Plant Sale. The garden provides plants and seeds that are often hard to find in local nurseries. The plants that I purchased had a high survival rate and were very economical.
Master Gardeners will be present to help you select plants that are suitable for growing conditions on your property. Be prepared to tell them:
- Which portion of the watershed your property is in: Foot hills, alluvial fan, playa, etc;
- Whether your soil is gritty and sandy, silty, loam, or sticky clay;
- How long it takes water to drain from a hole in the ground;
- Exposure to sun;
- Your preferred irrigation schedule;
- Organic content (compost) in your soil;
- What kind of mulch you use: such as rocks, wood chips, compost topping, pine needles, straw, shredded paper, etc.
See Success With Garden Plants in the Mojave Desert for pictures of some of the plants that I purchased from UC Riverside Botanic Garden Sale.
I hope to see you there!